In support of the NACA Mission and Vision, Research & Scholarship Group (RSG) General Members guide and support RSG initiatives and ensure that all activities are aligned with the volunteer team charge, which is to conduct and facilitate research, inquiry, scholarship, and data-driven decision-making to advance student and professional experiences in campus activities.
- Stays abreast of trends and issues in research and assessment as they relate to campus activities and higher education.
- Helps the Chair to identify projects/tasks for each year in alignment with the RSG charge and NACA’s mission/vision.
- Develops resources and tools that assist with developing members’ skills in research and assessment.
- Participates in bi-weekly meetings, meetings during conferences, called meetings, and sub-committees and workgroups. (Note: While there are benefits related to on-site participation during live events, NACA recognizes it is not always financially feasible for its members.)
- Additional responsibilities as assigned and agreed upon with volunteer supervisor and/or NACA office staff liaison.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of experience in campus activities.
- Members of RSG should represent a mix of mid-to-upper level practitioners, faculty who have come out of campus activities background or who currently have dual roles as academics and practitioners, and graduate students who have an interest in campus activities research.
- Members must have a repertoire of scholarly contributions to the field of campus activities (i.e., articles, research, national task force participation, conference presentations, collaborative work, etc.).
- Members should have a record of participating in collaborative efforts, with particular skill for moving from ideas to action.
- Members should have energy and passion for research and its applications for campus activities.
- Supports NACA programs through attendance whenever possible.
- Part-time (50%) or full-time employment by a NACA member institution.
- Must have approval from and support of their institution (note: support is defined as financial as well as time out of the office, etc.).
- If the volunteer changes jobs during the position’s term, the new school must also be a NACA member and provide a statement of support. The NACA Volunteer Development Manager must be informed of this change within two weeks and the new letter of support must be received at the NACA Office within 30 days of selection. If not a member school, the school must join as a member within 30 days of transition.
General Members will receive support from the Director of Education and Research and the Association:
- Regularly communicate with the Chair and Chair-Elect to develop and plan meetings.
- Actively participate in meetings, being sure to communicate forthcoming strategic initiatives coming out of Education and Research at the national office.
- Communicate event needs and requests to appropriate volunteers and office staff (i.e., meeting rooms, education session slots, AV needs, etc.).
- Prepare minutes and other meeting materials and post in NACA® Connect.
- Schedule meetings.
- NACA Connect
- NACA Google Drives
Term of Service/Time Commitment:
- Two-year term, May 1 – April 30
- One hour biweekly for meetings and an additional 2-3 hours per month for special projects
NACA Office Liaison:
- Director of Education and Research
- Relationship Development
- Recruitment and Retention
- Policy Knowledge, Development, and Management
- Assessment and Data Management
- Networking and Business Relationships
- Professional Development
- Cultivating a Sense of Belonging